The culture of the markets is a funny one and takes some getting used to, we've found that observation of each individual stall is key before entering in to buy. Some fruit and vegetable sellers let you touch the food and bag it yourselves, others will walk around as you tell them what you want and pick it out for you. They are all equally gracious and welcoming, asking "pour deux?" or "pour aujourd'hui?" and helping us pick the best cheese, rotisserie chicken, nectarines, or whatever else we're buying. We came away with a few figs for a snack but loved watching the rotisseries at the charcuteries that had potatoes broiling under the chickens in the drippings (YUM!) and all the people.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
A word about markets. Yesterday we explored the market on Rue Mouffetard and it was wonderful! We followed the crowd of locals walking down a tiny cobblestone street (that used to be the main road to Lyons and Italy in the 13th century); old men in plaid blazers, women in house dresses, and families, each with their empty shopping bag or pull cart. And we passed lots of people walking back up the hill and eyed their full bags: at least one baguette in each, lots of fruit, chickens, bottles of wine...
SO this morning I went back to get some things for breakfast and dinner tonight (we figured we should cook in at least once!). Going in, I thought I knew what I wanted but once I got there... the cheeses, the sausages and salamis, the fish and crabs and oysters, the chickens, the grapes and lettuce and potatoes and tiny little red plums...it was all overwhelming! And it was much quieter this morning than yesterday, I think Sunday morning is serious down time for the Parisians. I finally came away with two different baguettes (one for breakfast and a skinny one for cheese with dinner), a fresh off the spit chicken (pour deux, s'il vous plait!), a bag of roasted potatoes, figs and strawberries, a head of lettuce and tomatoes, and a little pot of cheese that looks like its going to be stinky and gooey. AND a bottle of Minervois that I picked up on the way home. C'etait magnifique!! And I think we'll eat on the Seine again tonight if it stays warm.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment